Monday, November 3, 2008

New to This...

After poking around on the blog spots of several friends with small children and new babies, I've become addicted to this idea of chronicling the life and times of the ordinary days that make up our extraordinary lives. Of course, the big difference between me and say Katie, or Melissa, or even the amazing mama Christine Matchell is that my "babies" are all teenagers - "The Fab 5".

Yup, 13, 15, 17 (next week), 18, and 19. And, for the record, at this point, they all live at home. Often its a beautiful chaos around here. I never know for sure if I'll have four or twelve for dinner (usually its somewhere between 6 and 10). You know how as a new mom you start to feel like you're in a concentration camp where they are trying to break you with sleep deprivation? Well, for some reason, teenagers, too like to keep unmentionable hours. And the truth of it is, most often the most important conversations happen after midnight. So, I'm learning how to stay awake past my traditional 9pm bedtime. And I'm learning to practice the art of listening in expectancy rather than with expectations. And life is delightful. And complicated. And full of joy and sorrow and some regrets and some absolutes.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yeah! I'm excited to read your blog!! I've added you to my site...love you lady!