Thursday, January 15, 2009

About "Drama"

As the mom of four teenage girls and a woman who likes to dissect her own feelings, I've experienced drama of many forms over the past few years. Some of it over clothes, some of it over boys (okay, often over boys), some of it over lunch tables, some of it over sleep overs, sometimes its about friends making bad choices, or making bad choices ourselves, sometimes its about parents (me!) or teachers being too strict or not strict enough, and sometimes it seems like its about nothing at all - girls just get bored.
The one thing that these incidents have in common is emotions gone wild. Like reality tv shows where young women flaunt their every disapointment and the more extreme the reaction the more vindicated they feel, the women (moms and daughters) of a small town sometimes fall prey to the temptation to let everyone know how outraged/hurt/betrayed/angry/martyred/ and most especially, JUSTIFIED they are to their pain.

The thing is, the pain is real. Love runs deep.

The thing is, real women experience deep emotion.

The thing is, we have a choice to make when we're in the midst of an emotional explosion (whether happy or sad).

The thing is, there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to respond to those strong emotions.

So what do we do when a storm of deep feelings sweeps into our hearts and leaves us windblown and unanchored? Or, when a friend comes undone and drags us into the attempt to pull herself together?
I think there are probably as many answers to these questions as there are women to respond. Here's my thoughts:

First, we need to acknowledge that we all need/want/are designed to crave/ acceptance. When, for whatever reason mentioned above or any other issue, we experience loss, it HURTS!

And that pain can cloud our vision. It can drive us to do and say things that we don't really mean, but that allows us to take the focus off our own bleeding for the time it takes to cause someone else to bleed. It can lead us into a depression that skewers everything we look at and makes us believe that we'll never feel "normal" or we'll never be enough, or we'll always be too much...
And when a friend is in the midst of a crisis of the heart it is tempting to come to her side and swing angry words and ugly gossip. It is tempting to try to comfort someone's pain by causing pain...

But that pain can also lead us into a deeper understanding of the human condition and especially the emotion that unites us as women. Ultimately, we do have choices. We can choose to validate ourselves and our friends in the midst of deep emotions. We can choose to affirm each other as women who do struggle and do sometimes make the wrong decision. And we can choose to keep our dignity in the midst of the roil of feelings that sometimes threaten to overwhelm us.

And one more thing. I can't tell you the number of times I have thought, I will never do that. I never COULD do that. But I've learned something. I have the capacity to hurt others. Sometimes on purpose. Sometimes out of my own pain. Someone once said, "Anyone of us, given the same set of circumstances, may respond in the same ugly way..." Humility admits that we've all made our stupid choices that have hurt someone in some way. Responsibility says that I sometimes contribute to my own pain. And dignity allows for me to give grace to those who harm me.

What do you think? How can we as women support each other, express our emotions, but not live life like a reality tv show??

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Us being mothers of daughters I think we tend to expect these emotions as part of growing up. Being the mother though should we not just listen and try to teach them better ways to express their emotions.
But at times the emotions run so high that we tend to get involved in all of the "drama" also. So that being said-How do we teach them something we do not even know how to control?
I have experienced the situation of small town drama all my life have just recently learned how to handle it through my children.
As women and mothers our emotions are so strong that we want everyone to see it the way we see it no matter who we hurt in our path. Do we know what the appropriate way to act as emotions flare is? No....I have started relating it to the famous reality show…Survivor…which is famous to building alliances. So many times I want to be the one kicked off the island....I Love You. Ruth Abbey

Lisa said...

WOW!! I love this! It honestly describes my feelings when it comes to my daughter. You see, my daughter is moving back to Arkansas this coming up weekend, which means my little man Malachy will also be about 2 hours away. The pain that I feel is so very deep, it hurts! I will not and have not said anything that I would ever regret, because I love my daughter and grandbaby with all my heart. I will always and have always supported my children. I have always listened to my children and the way they are feeling, I have not only taught them and guided them through life, I have also listened to them on what is important to them, their feelings, their thoughts... that is one of the great things of being a parent...sitting back and listening to your children. The pain comes from me telling my daughter my feelings, and her being total opposite of me...lets just say not a very sensitive person... her words are harsh and hurtful. So instead of me "trying to feel my hurt", I am left feeling like the "bad person" and not sharing my feelings anymore so that I will still be able to see my grandbaby...Holly holds onto anywords that she does not want to hear, turns them into negative, when infact, they are never negative. I support my daughter in her decisions that are to better her and David, it is just my heart is left feeling empty when Malachy will not live close to me anymore. I am so used to seeing little man everyday, and now, it may me a coupld of times a month. I guess the "selfish" feeling that I hold in my heart, which may be wrong, and I admit that, is... Now Renee', Holly's stepmother, will be the grandma, the one that will get the opportunity now to enjoy Malachy all the time, not me like I have been. I don't want little man to forget me...He isn't even gone yet, and my heart is already in a million little pieces! Being a woman I find is at times extremely difficult, because we are so sensitive, we think and feel with our hearts...but you know something, I wouldn't change it for anything! I love being sensitive, because I know that I would never treat others the way I would not want to be treated...but having those feelings, I know I can and do end up getting hurt because there are some people who you hear say time and time again... i want, i want, i want... even if that means walking on others hearts. I have chosen to sit back and try to hide my sadness, my feelings, because that way I feel that I am sparing everyone else around me. Sounds silly or correct??? I honestly do not know. You ask... "What do you think? How can we as women support each other, express our emotions?"... I think it would be lovely that once a month, we get together on a weekend, for lunch or just coffee/tea and express our feelings. What an awesome support group. I would truly love that. Thank you Ruth for your kindness, your strength, your wisdom. I am forever thankful to you.