Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Will's Tribute

The following was written by Jonathon Biswell, Will and Paul's best friend. At the funeral he did a beautiful job of reading it aloud to the 1,000 or so people who gathered to say goodbye.

If I could summarize Will using only a few words they would probably be happy, energetic, funny, helpful, and loyal. Will was always there for anybody that needed anything or any help. People loved Will and Will loved people.

Will was always very open with people. He liked to be the center of attention. Will was always very good at making friends. If he was in a room full of people he didn’t know he would make sure he got everyone’s name and everyone’s number. His phone was always going off with either a text message or someone calling him. He always had some stupid ring tone on his phone like Michael Jackson or some other random ring tone; I would always make fun of him for it. Will also stuck out in the crowd. he liked to be different because he loved the attention. Will always knew how to talk to girls, he always had a girl he was talking to but normally it wasn’t just one it was at least two or three.

Mallory was telling me how one day Will called her up and said he had a date that night and he wanted her to pluck his eyebrows. So Will went over to her house and she accidentally took like a chunk out of it. Will was…lets just say…not happy –and he said you better not ever tell anybody about this”

Bethany remembers camping out at Corey’s farm one time with Will and Michelle and Corey. Will was wearing his red boxer shorts with the white hearts on them and Corey’s big boots. He was singing, “I’m a COWBOY, BABY”. He thought he was soooo hot!

Will always lived life to the fullest he never let a day go by without having just a little bit of fun. Will had a strong love for his truck. I remember the day he called me and told me that he sunk his truck, remember calling him an idiot, and I don’t think I ever stopped giving him a hard time for that. Corey remembers how proud Will was to make fun of him when Corey got his truck stuck for the first time.

Every summer Will and I, and sometimes Paul would always drive out to camp paddle trails and jump off the bluffs into the river and just relax and talk about life, girls, and what we were going to do that night. He always lived in the moment. Corey remembers hanging out at the farm with Will and they’d swim, fish and talk about life’s problems. We were like brothers.

Before we would go work out after school, he’d always make us watch his favorite t.v. show….Oprah!

The garage at Will’s house was probably one of his favorite places to be at, he would put up Christmas lights, a boom box, and a heater to make it where everyone else would want to be in there also. There were a lot of fun times in that garage. Will for some reason always liked to sleep on the couch even though he had a nice bed in his room.

Every time we were with Will he always had a big story to tell. And when he would tell a story he would always add a little bit to it to make it more exciting. He always knew how to make people laugh that was one of his biggest qualities, Will used to say “Zach’s not short, he’s fun- size!”

Will was such a loyal friend; we always knew he had our back when we needed him. Anytime my truck was broke down or in the shop he was always there to help me out. One day my truck had a hole in the tire Will and Danny ran me around all day to help me get it fixed.

Anytime Will and I were mad at each other we would probably talk just a little bit about it but we usually didn’t have to say anything and just forget about it. We all have a unique bond with Will…. We are like a family of friends. Someone said yesterday that there were a lot of people who considered Will one of their best friends. Will loved all his friends and always made sure they knew he did.

We all knew that Will loved his family. Michelle remembers how he would always say: “I am WILL! I am Will WASSON!” I can do anything because I am Danny Wasson’s son”. Will had a strong love for his dad. He would always tell me how much he loved fishing with him and how much he loved his cooking. Will loved his mother a lot, he would always tell me how proud he was of her when she got a steady job and lived on her own. Will loved his sister a lot. I know Bryn was more than sister to him - she was also his best friend.

Like most of us here today, Will did grow up going to church. I truly believe Will knew God because we would sometimes talk about God and he told me he believed in him. I know he is in heaven having a good time like he always does. He told me one day that if he ever died he wouldn’t want anyone to be sad because he would be in a better place. So every day we need help to remember that the most important thing is to love. And we can love the best when we know how much God loves us and figure out how to open our hearts up and be able to take it in.

First John 3 says: “let’s not just talk about love; let’s practice real love. This is the only way we’ll know we’re living truly, living in God’s reality. It’s also the way to shut down devastating self-criticism, even when there IS something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves. And friends, once that’s taken care of and we’re no longer accusing or condemning ourselves, we’re bold and free before God! We’re able to stretch our hands out and receive what we asked for because we’re doing what he said, doing what pleases Him. Again, this is God’s command: To believe in his personally named Son, Jesus Christ. He told us to love each other… “ Just like Will always made sure we knew he loved us.

I remember when Will called me and told me that he was going to move to Fayetteville. I remember telling him that it would be ok as long as he didn’t make any new best friends, he told me that he wouldn’t, and that he could never replace the friends he has in Siloam. Will, we know you’re up there. Better not find any new best friends while you’re there. Because we know there is no one down here that could replace you. We love you Will and will deeply miss you.

No comments: