Thursday, January 22, 2009

Time Warp

I've noticed something in the last couple of weeks as I begin to familiarize myself with the world according to blogspot.com. Most of you are mothers of relatively young children. I suppose that's because so many of the stories we can tell are cute, funny, and even if they do involve "poop" or "throw-up" they're still poignant and bring smiles when our kids are little. Too, many of you are stay at home moms who are incredibly gifted and creative in your parenting. I love to read the stories of your days. In some ways, it makes me quite nostalgic. The simple time of staying home with small children. And then I read a post about having a dirty diaper on the floor since yesterday, and a sink full of dishes and I snap out of that revelry...
Mine were 5 in six years. When we moved to Hawaii "field trips" became part of our daily routine. We'd head for the beach most days. Sami had just turned one and was the best little napper. We'd get her set up and then the other four and I would hit the water to body surf or snorkel. The only time I ever gave them Cheetos was at the beach. The orange stuff always would come off in the water! Drip castles became works of art. Japanese tourists took pictures of the kids (they were all blond in those days). Some days we'd just go to a local pool. Or the Honolulu zoo - admission was free for the Keikis (children) and practically free for their Kamahiena (local)mama. One of our favorite things to do was to visit the mall in Pearl City. Two shopping areas "Uptown" with stores like Dillard's, Macy's, etc. and "Down Town" with various pop culture stores, were connected by an elevated train. You could see the ocean from up on the tracks - and for 25 cents a piece, the kids and I rode that thing. Whenever friends or family came to visit us we'd always do the hike up behind the university of Hawaii. Moanolua? Can't remember the name. But it led through the rain forest, a stand of bamboo, and to a beautiful waterfall splashing into a jungle pool. It always felt so good to jump in after that hike. We'd bring hard boiled eggs, rolls, oranges, and usually some m&Ms.
I can remember standing in the kitchen of that first house in Millilani with Sami in the backpack while I cooked dinner and the other four sitting on these GREAT old bar stools we found coloring. I remember my mom giving Paul "Brother Bear" when he turned four - a huge stuffed animal as big as he was. Since he was never gonna have a human brother, it gave him someone to wrestle with! So many great moments of time.
Thanks, mothers of youngin's for reminding me of all the beauty of those days...

2 comments:

Ava said...

So fun! I just caught up on your whole blog! Hope this finds you doing well! Your family is beautiful...
Love, Jenny

Elizabeth said...

Ruth, I saw your comment and found your blog! How fun. And I had to laugh when you mentioned the dirty diaper on the floor since yesterday b/c I'm pretty sure that was me. I am happy to say that there are currently no dirty diapers anywhere in my house except the trash, and most of the dishes are done. At least for now. Ahh, the life with little ones. Someday I'll be where you are and miss these days!